Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bray level crossing bridge being demolished?

• 09-12-2011 3:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know what the plan is for the bridge at the level crossing in Bray is? Apparently it's being demolished, but there is no immediate plan to replace it.

Anyone who has the pleasure of having to cross the traintracks there knows that the gates are regularly left closed for upwards of 5-10 minutes at a time, so if the bridge is just gone there are going to be an awful lot of angry people standing around

Comments

...or just more people pushing the barrier out of the way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

They'll probably end up making a bridge out of lego.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    They'll probably end up making a bridge out of lego.

Ever look at the railway bridge in Blackrock station? it's like something M.C. Escher would design:

fOyFa.jpg

So much bridge for so short a distance.

Yeah that looks straight out of NASA in the dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 cllrmcmanus

Yes, the bridge will be taken down this Saturday night as it had become unsafe. The road will be closed between 10PM on Saturday until 9AM on Sunday.

I have been in touch with Iarnrod Eireann about my concerns about the knock-on effects of having no bridge (delays, people squeezing through the barriers etc). The have told me that the new bridge would be constructed next year, most likely starting in Feb.

I have also asked them to look at the timings of the barrier. Anyone who uses the crossing regularly knows that the gates sometimes stay down for much longer than necessary (as B0jangles has already said).

I hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

In fairness, the ironwork on the bridge was getting like swiss cheese. I can't imagine us getting anything like Blackrock though. The replacement will probably be as ugly as sin to blend in with the area :D

I have also asked them to look at the timings of the barrier. Anyone who uses the crossing regularly knows that the gates sometimes stay down for much longer than necessary (as B0jangles has already said).

I hope this helps.

Thanks, good to get a bit more detail, and at least there is a plan to rebuild.

And yes, I have to go through the gates several times a day and you do get tired of standing at them in the rain watching as a train slowly approaches from Greystones, stops, the driver gets out and heads off, his replacement shows up a couple of minutes later, spends another few minutes getting comfy and then finally moves on

• Registered Users Posts: 24 cllrmcmanus

Just another quick thing about the train station.

We received a planning application from Iarnrod Eireann for the construction of ticket validation machines at the exit from the east platform (towards Strand Road).

The gates on that side are padlocked shut most of the time and it looks like they are going to create a proper exit there.

That should speed things up for commuters who live around the seafront, and for visitors who want to walk the prom!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

We received a planning application from Iarnrod Eireann for the construction of ticket validation machines at the exit from the east platform (towards Strand Road).

The gates on that side are padlocked shut most of the time and it looks like they are going to create a proper exit there.

That should speed things up for commuters who live around the seafront, and for visitors who want to walk the prom!

That's an amazing development - what will IE do next - invent the wheel? :rolleyes: There has been an exit off the Down platform since it was built in the 1920s.

I saw that; that will be great for all the people who park on the seafront too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

It was such a pain when they closed those gates, sometimes they were closed and sometimes you were not. After weeks they finally put a sign up letting people know they were closed for good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Surely they'll re-open the back entrance to the station now ?

Otherwise, it will be a nightmare standing at those gates in the morning (coming from the car parks at the seafront) watching the train that you should be on passing by while you wait 10 minutes for the barriers to go back up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

They are supposed to be replacing the bridge tonight???

Correction my husband 'assumed' they were putting one up!!

Bye bye old bridge :(

eLO08.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

that thing was rusted to bits when I lived in Bray 5+ years ago. They probably didn't have to dismantle it at all, a quick yank with the crane would do the job.

In fairness you can still access the station from the seafront via Seapoint Rd or Albert Walk, its 5 minutes extra walk max.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I have many happy memories of watching trains from that bridge - before it was encased in the horrible sheeting - you had a great view of trains approaching from both directions and of the two sets of gantry signals that guarded the north and south approaches to the station. The old LC gates operated by a wheel from the cabin were a great source of amusement to us as kids but must have been a bugger to work for the signalman.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭insomniac86

I haven't been around Bray Dart Station in about a week, I saw the sign on the Quinsboro Road saying there would be work on the crossing sunday before last. I didn't know though that it was to replace the bridge and since i live close to the bridge I'm amazed there was hardly any noise coming from it. It's sad in a way that the bridge is gone but it was very outdated and those steps used to creep me out they felt very steep. Plus when I was a kid I fell down those steps. It'll be interesting to see what they replace it with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

The building regs have a limit of 2m for a run of steps in a workplace, so the bridge in Blackrock type approach, or like the bridge in Rush and Lusk with 3 flights of steps is what can replace it.

If there's a lift already, there may be wriggle room to change it.

Has there been any update on when building the new bridge is supposed to be happening? I'm getting pretty damn tired of missing buses because I cannot rely on being able to get through the level crossing in less than 10 minutes :(

I agree with the above post it's getting ridiculous now, I know that Counsillor McManus spoke to Irish Rail about this but nothing has changed apart from the rear exit being open more often now. I got off the train tonight and exited through the rear exit and not only 1 minute had the crossing gates gone up as soon as I was out of the laneway they went straight back down again and the train on the other platform wasnt even there at that stage! had to wait 5 more minutes and I was contemplating just going through the barriers at one stage(I didn't in the end) but the guy next to me clearly was frustrated and crossed the barriers anyway. I just feel bad for those that actually need to rush for the bus. I've heard too many stories lately of people missing their bus because of the time wasting that gate has caused. The sooner the better the new bridge is constructed, which I thought we were led to believe was meant to begin construction this month? And also this isnt the first time I've been screwed over by those gates ever since they took down the bridge. Rant over.

• Advertisement

Not going to be surprised if someone gets killed by going through the barriers.

I've gone through them myself a few times. Absolutely no need for barriers to be down for anything up to 8 minutes, which I've witnessed.It's baltic down by the beach these days, and when you're running for a bus, it all adds up.

Retarded decision to break down the bridge without giving a replacement first.

I completely agree with you. It's becoming a danger and I fear that one day someone late for their bus or in a hurry, will look and see no train's at the dart station decide to chance their luck and then get smacked by a speeding commuter. This whole thing wasn't planned out very well like what you said they should have had the replacement bridge ready straight after the destruction of the old one. I know it was mentioned that it became dangerous but it lasted a hell of a long time I think it could of lasted a few more months so they could get everything ready and replace the bridge quickly. Come on Irish Rail get your finger out and sort this quickly before somebody gets hurt, or worse....

I really wouldn't mind so much if they didn't leave the gates shut for so long each time; If a train is coming in from Greystones, the barriers start coming down when the train is still coming around the side of Bray Head; 2 minutes later it arrives, the driver gets out and heads for the staff room, his replacement comes wandering along 2-3 minutes later, gets in, hangs up his coat, folds his paper, gets nice and comfy, then maybe another minute later the train will actually start moving.

And the the barrier will stay down because there's a train due to arrive from the opposite direction in a few more minutes.

It's maddening

Does anybody have any idea what's going on yet? This whole thing is driving me insane at this point! It wouldn't have been an issue if they had of just kept the bridge there until they were ready for the construction of the new bridge. Thank god I don't have a car is all I can say cause at this point I'd be driven to madness to just ram over the bloody gates.

Irishrail are really really starting to take the p*ss now; just came down the Quinsborough road 15 minutes ago - saw by the line of cars that the gates had been shut for a very long time.

"Grand" I thought, "They'll have to open soon"

And I was right! I got to just past the bowling alley and they opened :D

Joy!!!

AND F*CKING SHUT AGAIN 6 SECONDS LATER

So much for telling Irish Rail to "check the timings of the barriers". Unless they did and they decided that keeping the barriers down longer would be a fun way to piss us all off.

So has anyone heard anything about rebuilding plans?

I emailed them a few weeks ago but heard nothing back :(

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭big_heart_on

I remember my mother and I watching them filming "The Great Train Robbery" from that bridge :)

It got dangerous though since it was wrapped in sheeting it was often host to "Bag o' Cans" and friends. Getting to the top and then discovering you had to wade through the middle of a gang of drunks who had urinated all over the place was a friendly reminder of what Bray is like :rolleyes:

Mini update: I was on to thier customer service today to complain about the gates being left closed for so long all the time (missed my train this morning because I couldn't get to the station :( ) and the very nice CS rep I was talking to said that they have been told that there is a plan to rebuild, but they were given no dates or timeframes, which he said is very unusual.

So it looks like we could be waiting a very long time, if not forever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

Does anyone know when the new entrance/exit for platform 2 will open? I asked in the station this morning (after getting stuck in the rain on the wrong side of the tracks almost 10 minutes before my train was due :mad:) and only got a shrug of the shoulders in response. I certainly hope it will act as an entrance as well as an exit so that we can cross to platform 1 using the station bridge in the mornings.

I can't believe we're over 7 months without a footbridge and no sign of a new one...

What is the point of the 10+ minute wait while the crossing is down? Absolutely infuriating. I am one of those that squeeze through the middle* because A: I know how long it is to potentially wait and B: You can see if a train is coming. There's the junction near Sydney Parade iirc that pops down for 2-3 minutes max. Is it done manually? And if so, are they taking the p*ss?

*If there's kids there I wouldn't

Have to agree it’s flippin disgraceful, the personnel who work at Bray St aren’t clued in. Any other station would have been up and operational. They originally had said it would be given the green light when the festival starts.

As for the bridge forget about it, is it’s taken this long to install a few poxy turnstiles, then imagine how long it would take to construct a bridge?

What is the point of the 10+ minute wait while the crossing is down? Absolutely infuriating. I am one of those that squeeze through the middle
    I don't know what the story is - if it's a train starting in Bray the barriers will generally be down before the driver has even boarded the train. It's insane.
    Sugarlumps wrote: »
    They originally had said it would be given the green light when the festival starts.
    Yes they really should have had it in place for the festival. There are so many tourists around and when they eventually get out of the station they find themselves stuck at the barriers for another 10+ minutes. A group of spanish students actually applauded after the gates went up one evening last week (I timed it - it was 12 minutes!).

I might try to ask someone else about it on my way home this evening...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

runrabbit wrote: »
    A group of spanish students actually applauded after the gates went up one evening last week (I timed it - it was 12 minutes!).

Should have told them to go down the Albert Walk and turn left. Takes about two minutes.

Should have told them to go down the Albert Walk and turn left. Takes about two minutes.

I didn't expect it to take so long! We actually had 3 trains pass through during that time so after each one I was expecting the barriers to come up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭NobodyImportant

Think its open now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,108 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Think its open now.

What is?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

I think it's a reference to the new exit on the seafront side of the station. It was opened for the air show weekend, but I heard it wasn't completely finished and may be closed again until it gets properly finished.

Meanwhile, pedestrians (and motorists) still wait at that gate for ages with no moving trains in sight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,488 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've never understood why cars wait there when there's a perfectly good alternative route.

The platform 2 exit has been open and operational every evening this week so far. It cuts a few minutes off my commute home :D I hope it's open for good now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Alun wrote: »
    I've never understood why cars wait there when there's a perfectly good alternative route.

Probably because they are visitors to Bray who don't know the alternative - would you like to share with the class?

Probably because they are visitors to Bray who don't know the alternative - would you like to share with the class?
    A few might be, but I don't think they'd all be visitors, a lot would be people heading home from the sea front car parking after a Dart arrives.

http://goo.gl/maps/0uUu8

I guess we're never going to see a replacement bridge....

Fingers crossed it happens this year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

"Starting late summer 2014" Great, just in time for the worst time of the year to have any construction started (schools being back).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Tweet from Andrew Doyle sounds promising :
    Andrew Doyle TD ‏@ADoyleTD · 2m
    Welcomed response from NTA that the pedestrian bridge at Bray Dart station will be reconstructed this year @MickGlynn @cllrsarahwray

I'm glad to hear this but I'll believe it when I see it. It probably won't be built for another 4 years the way construction is in this town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

"Starting late summer 2014" Great, just in time for the worst time of the year to have any construction started (schools being back).

How will construction of a footbridge at the Dart station have any connection or impact on schools being back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

murpho999 wrote: »
    How will construction of a footbridge at the Dart station have any connection or impact on schools being back?
    Not at the bridge specifically, but starting any kind of works when traffic levels are higher than what they are during the summer is kind of stupid in my mind.

• Advertisement
Advertisement